Layers of my Blog:

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Stop to Smell the Clover

Goodmorning! I've been waiting and waiting for a time when I would have an awesome topic, and a good hour or two to get it through my fingers and onto the blog.........but here I am about two and a half months latter, and I have come to the conclusion if I don't just take this moment (set a timer for 20 minutes) and write, I will never get ANYTHING up!

Well, I guess for anyone reading this, I should probably give you a quick sum-up of my life over the past while. I packed up and went home for the summer, I have spent time with family, have taken--and will be taking a trip or two back to Utah, and before I know it, I will be back for the fall! People talk about having a summer romance, and I have never understood that until this summer--I have seriously fallen in love with the sunshine, the bright sunrises, seeing Mr. Mendelsohn (refresher: that's my cat--don't get TOO excited. ;) ) every day, and sleeping in a double bed--my own bed. Yep, I'm in love with summer. :)

I have to say though that coming home after living away for about 8 months is interesting all in itself. You've moved out.....but your back......but not for long? It's a pretty crazy deal.
But enough about that---I miss Mayberry. (If you don't know what I am talking about, google "Andy Griffith" or "Mayberry" and you'll figure it out pretty quick.)

The whole idea is that simple life (the 50's about) and enjoying all of the simple pleasures--family dinner, sitting on the porch, talking, and being truly happy.

It got me thinking about how my absolute-favorite moments are never perfectly planned, elaborate, or by the world's standard are they ever picture-perfect. I recently had the chance to spend a week with one of my best friends. We did a ton of stuff while I was out there, but my favorite moments were when it was simple. I loved going out country dancing, but dancing in the living room was just as--if not more--fun. And looking back on the whole trip, (let me preface it with the fact that I was spoiled and stayed at his sister's house) I have to say that one of my favorite days was the simplest. It wasn't when he was in a suit, and I was in a dress, for church, in fact, it was when I overslept when we were supposed to go running. :) Oh yes, after many late nights, I slept through my alarm, so he patiently waited for me as I threw on yoga pants, a t-shirt, tennis shoes, and my glasses. (Didn't even take the retainers out...) As I came tearing up the stairs, it caught me off guard to find a gentleman standing in the kitchen in a t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes (obviously because we were going to go running....)and glasses, looking a little like he had just gotten out of bed as well. :)  I hope I don't embarrass him, but when I came up, horrified that I had totally overslept, I'm sure I turned to him and said a rather frazzled "goodmorning." He looked at me with this slightly mischievous grin, and said "I've got something for you."  Then he handed me a 3-leaf clover. I kind of chuckled, said thank you, and set it on the counter--figuratively brushing it to the side We headed out to go running, ( he's practically an Olympian......so the poor guy doesn't exactly get the greatest workout if he goes with me) and found our way back to the house I was staying at. After washing my face and ditching the retainers, I came back up to the kitchen to find that breakfast was set out, and he was ready to dig in. As we sat eating and talking( not at the same time though..... :) ) I couldn't help but think how simply wonderful it was--we were just in t-shirts, shorts, and both still sporting our glasses. If I remember correctly, he had yet to shave, and I had yet to even shower. Honestly, it was simply real.

We had to get on with our day so he headed home to grab a shower, and I put a few things away. Before I left the kitchen, I saw the clover on the counter, smiled, and then tossed it in the trash.

The trip was wonderful, but as many things do, it had to come to a close.
Let's fast forward to me driving back home a few days later. Hours in the car give you a lot of time to think. I don't know where it came from but somewhere between BYU and home, I remembered that clover. WHAT WAS I THINKING!! Why on earth did I just throw it away? As I drove I began to wonder, "what happened?" When did I become too formal, too proper, or maybe even too old to enjoy the little things?  Had I to relive it, I would have slowed down, said a much warmer "good morning", and let myself smile and thank him genuinely. You would probably find a clover pressed between the July 2nd and 3rd pages of my journal, because it was a moment in my life, and a memory I want to hold onto.

I'm happy to say that I'm relearning to slow down and enjoy the little things again. We're commanded to be as little children, and I believe that links directly to the small and simple things. I know they say to smell the roses, but don't forget to notice the clover too. ;)

Wishing you a wonderful summer day,

Tayler
 P. S. One of my favorites--my dreams in a song, reminding me how life is just simply beautiful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment