So I overheard this conversation today as I was walking to class, that really got me thinking. It went something like this:
Girl: (Holding hands with her boyfriend, talking to him) all I have left today is to go to my TA lab. I really don't like going though, because they just tell me everything that I'm doing wrong.
Guy: That's why God gave me you--to tell you everything that you are doing right. Like today, you got up early, you exercised, and you've gone to all of your classes.
I didn't catch much more of it--they had been walking right behind me but then turned and headed the other direction. That phrase though, "God gave me you," really stuck with me. I mean, yes it is a song that I know and love, but it was interesting to think about that concept; God's hands are in our lives.
In regards to having that person, and all of the other aspects, I truly believe that He does have a hand in our lives, but that isn't what I want to cover tonight. Actually, I want to talk about the second part of his comment: Everything she did "right."
Because I am me, it is definitely a good day if I get up early, go to all of my classes, and exercise at some point during the day. For some though, they would think that those tasks are no sort of accomplishment. This is where the chocolate-covered pretzels come in.
Those two complimented each other. I don't mean that they told one another millions of things they loved about the other, or showered them in compliments, but their perspectives complimented one another.
Just like Pretzels and white-chocolate. I know that seems like a really funny way of looking at it, but this is for every person out there who wonders why they haven't found that person yet, and find themselves single as can be.
First off, think of a pretzel, and everything that goes into it. You've got flour, salt, yeast, and many more components that are turned into a dough, then shaped, boiled, baked, and finally, salted. It all didn't happen in a single moment, nor was it a simple process. They had to be shaped and put through different processes in order to become the pretzel that would go deliciously with white chocolate. What if I said you have a lot in common with that single (no pun intended) pretzel. You are made up of many different things--personality, family, interests, perspectives--and have been through many life experiences--ups, downs, trials, and paths we could never even imagine--just like the pretzels are boiled and baked until they are crisp and salty.
But isn't it interesting how they are an amazing snack all on their own? Well, just like those pretzels, you are amazing all on your own, and have been shaped into who you are today.
I know what you're thinking though: I thought you said white-chocolate pretzels?
You are exactly right. The chocolate is that special person that compliments you just the way you are. It doesn't mean you weren't incredible on your own, but just like after the pretzels are completely done and ready to be dipped in chocolate, the chocolate just makes them that much better.
Even though you've now put them together there is still a difference between the two, yet they compliment one another. They aren't exactly the same, but that is what makes them work together so beautifully.
So, as cheesy as it is, what I want to say is as follows:
1. Just like those pretzels, we are shaped into who we are today, and who we want to ultimately become.
2. We can stand alone and we must become our own person first. ( Just like the chocolate has to be prepared as well :) )
3. When it is right, it is right. Just like the chocolate and pretzels are two completely different components, so are you and your spouse, but your differences are what make you even that much more incredible, together. It's the sweet and salty. :)
As silly as this little analogy may seem, I firmly do believe that Heavenly Father prepares us for what lies ahead, and when the time is right, will cross our path with that special person's. Before I get to studying, let me leave you with two quotes:
A dear friend e- mailed this to me after a visit back home:
"The prophets have stressed many times that marriage is an appropriate and universal goal. But it has been my observation that the best marriages, the best engagements, are not the results of directly seeking after marriage. The best marriages seem to be a by-product of pursuing many different kinds of worthy goals. In other words, a young woman at Brigham Young University or anywhere else who devotes her full attentions and energies to finding a husband may well find one, but this perhaps will not be the best kind of match. The best marriage will be the one that comes when the young woman is not so much concerned with finding the right one as with being the right one."
Wise advice from Sr. Davidson
And finally, remember that He has a plan for you, and is waiting for you to trust him. It may not be easy, but it will bring you the greatest peace, and keep you for wishing your life away.
Love you all, and I will talk to you soon!
P.S. A note to my other half: wherever you are, and whatever you're doing, I can't wait for the many adventure we will have together. Wishing you the best!
Tayler

No comments:
Post a Comment