Layers of my Blog:

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Stop Doing, and Start Feeling



It seems like such an odd thing to say, doesn't it? Because in order to feel--whether it be excitement, peace, love, accomplished, respected, or practically everything that comes with the "life experience"--it would seem like we would have to do something; complete a massive goal, fall madly in love, be given an incredible opportunity, and so on, and so forth.

Let me step back for a minute--tonight, I went visiting teaching. I knew we were going an hour or so before hand, but was willing to go. Still, I thought about how much nicer it would be to just stay home and do homework. Obviously, I went, and as my visiting teaching companion and visited with this sister, I was blown away how peaceful the room was, and how all of my worries about classes and friends and family were almost checked at the door. At that moment doing my visiting teaching, turned into feeling the spirit of visiting teaching, and it was a pleasure if not a privilege to share that while with those amazing women. Had I just checked on her to check it off, I would have been watching the clock and thinking about every other thing I could possibly be using this time to get done. Moral of the story: I felt it. 

I think this ambiguous "it" is called life, or living. I mean, truly living and experiencing all that this world has to offer. Let me give another example.
Being at BYU sometimes makes you feel like you're living at a bridal shop--I should be clearer and say that when it feels like all of your friends are getting married and half of the school is wearing a wedding ring, your entire perception of a wedding dress, reception, invitations and everything else, changes.

Just for your viewing pleasure (please know that I have never been, and am NOT engaged/married) I have attached the fake wedding announcements that a friend of mine and I put out the summer before our senior year in high school... besides wedding dresses, this is my only experience in this department...


This would be me saying goodbye to him at the airport after giving everyone heart attacks ;) 
That was totally a side note, but what I was actually going to go into is wedding dresses. I am a dress person, and have my fair share of a collection, and several books as well, but wedding dresses are an interesting animal. This is where the doing vs. feeling comes into play. I've been with several brides as they're making that decision or what to wear on one of if not the biggest day of their life. But, when you stop to really pay attention it is quite interesting, and leaves me in awe. 
This really hit me today as I was helping a bride find her dress.

It doesn't matter how beautiful she looks; it matters how beautiful she feels.

Just think about that for a moment, and it is amazing how that can almost apply to all aspects of our lives.
It doesn't matter (please just follow, I understand that there are definitely different ways to look at this) what you said, but rather how it made the other person feel. In your studies, you can do everything it takes to attain a degree, but if you have no passion for it, it will never be fulfilling. 
To sum it up then, it made more sense in my head than on paper, but it is as if living isn't simply going thorough the motions of life, but truly living is doing things for the right reason and following your heart. That is where I would sum it up with "feeling." 

So, I hope you could follow that crazy train of thought, but to end I have included a clip from one of my favorites movies--Many of the quotes form the film are words I live by.

Love you all, it has been far too long. I will definitely be posting frequently again.

No comments:

Post a Comment