Layers of my Blog:

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Handsome Man

Note: Before I get rolling, I have to warn you that this is going to be a long post, but the only way to do it justice is to tell the whole story. If you've got a bit of time, enjoy!


Last night I was thinking a lot about how I have always been blessed to have an incredible friend in my life. I got to spend a while last night talking to one of those special friends, and it got me thinking about how incredible it is that somehow all along the road I've always had someone who could show me that life is ok, and just love me exactly the way I was at that time. I love my family and would always consider them my closest friends, but I also have a very handsome man in my life.


Allow me to introduce you to my best friend who has showed me what a gentleman is supposed to be like. This is my Mr.Mendellsohn. He and I have been through so much together. First off, I'm sure you're wondering how such a catch-of-a-cat could land a name like Mr. Mendellsohn. Well, he was given to me Christmas eve--I was thirteen. Wow. And I thought he was amazing, then. When he'd curl up he was the size of my hand, and entirely white except for his ears, tail, and spot on his cheek. Being the last of his litter to be adopted, he spent the first few days at our house crying and searching for his mom. At some point I sat down at the piano and started playing--he was hooked, and would just stop and listen to the music. So, he was either going to be a Mozart or a Mendelssohn. All I can say is Mendellsohn stuck--the Mr. in the front is used about 25 percent of the time. The funny thing too, is that for some reason, he has always answered when you call him.




Like I said, he and I have been through a lot together--we moved when I was 14, and he obviously came with us. He was there when I would be sitting in my bedroom, missing home, and wondering why on earth we moved. He was there when I would read letters from "home" on the front porch swing, and later wait when letters from friends stopped coming. He was there when I would be up late doing homework. I'd hear this distant meow, and would call, "Mendellsohn?" then we'd play Marco-polo until he would come running in and curl up on whatever was holding my attention--usually my text books or scriptures, or computer. Then he'd go to sleep, content knowing where I was, and having my undivided attention.





Then high school came. Those four years were the toughest yet of my entire life, and the best way to describe it, is that the day we were excused to never have to come back, I walked through the flying papers and running students, numb, and silent, out to my car. There I said the most sincere prayer of gratitude of my life. And through those years, Mendelsohn taught me so much. He taught me what a gentleman should act like.


Through high school I was heavily involved in choir and athletic training, both of which made for some very late nights. No matter what though, when I would pull up to my house way after dark, I would park across the street, turn off the car and look to the house. There Mendelsohn would be, sitting exactly in the middle of the road, calling for me to come home. He would sit there--snow falling--and give me all the time in the world as he would wait patiently for me. I remember a night or two I sat in my car and cried when everything just felt like too much. After waiting in the middle for a while, he would walk up to the car and call a few times, then sit right outside my door. I think Mr. Mendellsohn was the first gentleman in my life--he always went at least half-way, and was always the first to say hello. Half the time he was content once he knew I was also. There were even times when a "gentleman" would drop me off at my house, and would speed off as soon as both of my feet hit the sidewalk. But, by the time that gentleman would be all the way down the street, my gentleman would come running, and the conversation would start with a meow from Mendelsohn, then I would respond with ,"hey handsome." Then, together, we would walk up the front steps, go in the house, and then I'd scoop him up, and he'd drape himself over my left shoulder--we've never understood why he would only be on that side. He would always then rub his face on mine, and purr like a locomotive.



So, then there's this thing called more-school. My family and I moved across town just two weeks before I left home. During that time, my handsome man went missing, and I didn't get to say goodbye before I left. Every time I would call home, I would always ask--not wanting to know the answer--if Mendelsohn had come home yet. After a few weeks, the answer was finally, yes! As I talked to family members, they brought the the phone over to Mendellsohn. All I had to say was his name, and he started purring and rubbing his face on the phone. My family had found him back at the old house, and he has since then done the same thing six or seven times. The last time I was home he had been gone again, and a few people had mentioned that maybe he had been looking for me this whole time--at that point I hadn't seen him in almost 2 months--longer than we had ever been apart since he became part of the family.



I had been home for a few days, and had driven past the old house several times, stopped to call for him, but hadn't had any luck. After accepting the fact that I might never see him again, I pleaded with Heavenly father that Mendelsohn would be safe, and become someone else's gentleman--wondering if maybe someone else needed him more than I did. Finally, on my way home, I stopped at the old house, stood on the corner, and called and called. After a little over five minutes, I heard low, frantic meows, and then saw my Mendellsohn tear around from the backyard and run up to me. I couldn't believe it. I scooped him up but he jumped out of my arms and stood there talking to me. I followed him as he walked me up to the front door, meowing in relief that he'd found me, and life was back to normal. After he had taken me to the door, he turned around and looked me in the eye, as it all hit me.



He didn't understand--to him, he was my handsome man--the only person in the world I called handsome. He thought he could just go back to a place and go back to that time when I would get home and he would walk me to the door. I stood there, telling him that this was no longer home. After I picked him up and took him to the car, we drove away, as he stood looking out the back window at the old house.
I didn't know what to tell him.


As of now, my Mr. Mendellsohn still treks it back to the old house--probably still looking for me. And of course, I fear the day that I call home and hear that he's gone for good, but no matter what, he will always be my first handsome man.


There will come a day, when I will find my eternal handsome man. We've always joked that that guy will have to ask Mendelsohn for permission, but there is quite a bit of truth to it. Mendelsohn has taught me a lot, and been that gentleman in my life--he has been one of the brightest and most beautiful sunsets.



Today, I am just grateful for those special friends that make a world of difference.

With Lots of Love,
Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment