Layers of my Blog:

Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Elder Who Loves Everyone

It's a Saturday night, and I can honestly say that today was a really good day. The football game was freezing, but we won, and the basketball game was totally fun as well. Right now as I'm sitting blogging, my roommates are in the kitchen with one of the boyfriends. They aren't exactly dating their textbooks like this girl. :)

But really, I was sitting here wondering what on earth I could blog about. Tomorrow is Sunday, and even though it is a day of rest, it often feels busier and crazier than the rest of the week. Right now I am the first counselor in relief society, and have ward counsel in the morning, but I still felt like blogging. Blogging for me, is kind of like unlocking a piece of my mind and heart before I go to bed. Putting it on paper just feels so good.


So, as I was sitting here I thought I would jump on Lds.org, and I found this video about this young man who embodies Christlike love and service. Take a look:


Then this got me thinking how throughout my life I have met people who have helped to teach me how to love more perfectly and purely just as Christ does. Some have taught me that it is ok (and even a good thing) to hug people when you see them; more like let people hug you!  :) (I have the elder's quorum president in my singles ward to thank for that.) At the same time, I've met others who are so good at vocalizing compliments. But tonight, I was thinking about a family friend that embodies Christlike love. The most incredible thing, is he tells everyone he loves them, and means it. I'm not talking from a romantic perspective, but a Christlike, genuine care for people. 
This would be him:



Back home we would have the Missionaries over Wednesday mornings for waffles. (You can see the waffle count chalk board where we would keep the standing reccords of total waffles eaten in one sitting.) This Elder in particular served in our area for a good three months, and was practically part of the family. (Yes, they actually came to my High School Graduation.) 


Though he first tried to convince us he was from Brisbane, Australia, we soon figured out he is a southern tease, and an incredible missionary. He connects with people, and loves them exactly as they are. Whenever we would call their cell phone and have to leave a message, the answering machine would always end with, "Love you." (with a hint of southern drawl)
That didn't change when he would leave messages on the home phone, or bear his testimony in sacrament meeting. His testimony is actaully when it hit me. People say I love you all the time, but it is so casual and sometimes almost meaningless. I know that for me, unless you are my family, I am extremely stingy when it comes to using the words "I love you." Even ending my blog posts with "love" took some mental self-reassurance that yes, it is okay to say that. 
I remember sitting with my family though, as this Elder bore his testimony in sacrament meeting, saying that he loved all of us. And the crazy part is he actually does. That hit me like a tank! This 19 year old college guy, could sincerely say that he loved everyone, and I believed him. 

Somehow, he loves the people he crosses paths with, and all those he teaches--even to the extent of making a point of telling them so. I definitely learned a lot from having him in our ward and in our home for dinner or FHE or Wednesday waffles. He is one of the most remarkable examples of Christlike love, and I know that those qualities he possesses won't go out the door when his name tag comes off; Christ's name is written on his heart.

So, on this now, Sunday, I am going to strive harder to truly love people, and personally develop more of those Christlike qualities. Heaven knows we need more of that in this world.
Remember, there are so many people all around us who need our love, and will never know it is there unless we show them.

I wish you the best Sunday, 
Love You!
Tayler 




No comments:

Post a Comment